American Stories from Scissors

It all started with a hobby - sharpening scissors and knives. Finding a pair of old rusty scissors at an estate sale, I decided to see if I could put them back into working order. As I removed the rust I found a marking, which I researched and discovered an interesting story of early American entrepreneurial spirit. This started me on a journey of collecting scissors that had some kind of an American story connected with them. The people and their stories opened windows into the American dream. I was hooked! So now, a few years later and more scissors than I want to admit having, here is a blog about those scissors and the people who made or distributed them. I am now working on organizing the collection and will write more at some future date. Enjoy!

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

R. Heinisch



Scissors of R. Heinisch

Rochus  Heinisch, is the American story of an immigrant who, in 1825,  left his home in Leutmeritz, Bohemia (Austria) and immigrated to Brooklyn, New York.  There he started a business of making surgical instruments.  Soon after he moved to Elizabeth, New Jersey and in 1835 to Newark.  He enlarged his cutlery business making scissors and even knives.  He had three sons who worked with him in the business.  A fourth son joined them after serving in the New Jersey volunteer regiment during the Civil War.  After that the company was known as Heinisch’s Sons Company.  For a short time Jacop Wiss, of later Wiss scissors, worked for the Heinisch Company.  The Heinisch’s Sons Company ceased production in 1914.  Wiss purchased the manufacturing plant and became the largest scissor company at the time. 1
 
My personal collection includes the above four scissors.  The one that first caught my attention was the older large tailor shears with the unique thumb rest.  This pair is one of the most comfortable working shears.  They are made of a combination of iron and steel.  Even today they work well.  The brass pivot is stamped with the R. Heinisch as the inventor.  



 

The sense of pride of workmanship is seen in Mr. Heinisch’s willingness to put his own name on the shear and note himself as the inventor.  This act also speaks to a time when individuals saw their work as a contribution to the welfare of others.  As I worked with this pair of shears and felt their smooth movement I could almost feel the pride of its inventor.  The power that the handle’s design facilitated sends confidence the operator.  The quality of this kind of tool enables the craftsman’s skill. 




  The following pair of Heinisch scissors measures more than twelve inches.  It was to the early tailor what the cutting wheel is today.  The length of the blades enables a longer straight cut so the workman can accomplish more in a shorter time.    The look is almost knife like and a little intimidating.
 
 In the picture below you can see how the scissor designs changed over time.  The earlier tools appear to have been made for the professional tailor whereas the later scissors appear to be designed for more domestic use.  The R. Heinisch Company was versatile and developed cutlery during the late 1800’s and early 1900’s.  Their cutlery products have stood the test of time and even today some are still in use.  They are desirable to collectors of early American cutlery for both their unique designs and their place in the American story. 



1.        A great source for collectors of American scissors of this time frame is a recently published book by Phillip R. Pankiewiez, American Scissors and Shears, published by Universal-Publishers, Boca Raton.  Also, Goins cutlery book has extensive information about knives, many of whom made scissors as well.   In addition there are additional sources on the web, if you are willing to work for them. 
 

 

15 comments:

  1. I ran across your blog just yesterday when sharing photos of scissors new and old on Facebook with friends/fellow collagists. I had them for a long time but never looked them up ... the 14" pair of R. Heinisch scissors. I had no idea, fell in love with them because of their patina and enormity. There is a chip to the tip of one blade, they could use a cleaning ... but they are quite beautiful, my 100+yr. old scissors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I think that they are wonderful tools and works of art!

      Delete
  2. Mr. Nabors ~ I own a pair of R. Heinisch steel and brass scissors, 15" x 4.5", in excellent condition, which I would like to sell. I can forward a photo if interested , to anyone who might wish to buy them. Thank you. andrewpetkun@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  3. I'm related to him! I think he is from Czech Republic because he is listed as being from Bohemia, which is present-day Czech Republic. But great article. And wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I have one from my father, marked inside with H and below with IR and next to it a number 10. Any ideas what that stands for, rest is same as your huge one, mine is 15 inches, thanks ahead of time

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a pair of 12" marked with the co logo on one side, and 231-12" on the other. Two sides held together by screw much like 3rd pic in blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I just purchased a beautiful pair of scissors for one dollar at a thrift store. I bought them because they are really awesome looking and very sharp. I would love to know how old they are. They are 12 1/4 inches long. They have a thumb rest and an odd protrusion on the part your fingers go through. They are very heavy and have a brass cap on each side where they are attached together. The brass cap does not have any writing on it. The blade has R.Heinish engraved in cursive and there is a number 3 on the inside of one of the handles.They look very much like the darkest pair in your pictures. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent article. Thank you for sharing your information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a pair of the large scissors exactly as in your photo - engraving and all. My (very) Cornish Godmother gave them to me - no idea how she came by them. I have been told variously they were for making sails or cutting leather for gloves - anyone shine any light on thier purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also have a Heinisch scissors as in third from left. They were my paternal grandfather's scissor; he worked in tailoring factories as a "cutter." Unfortunately, I never met him, he died at 42, some 20 years before I was born. My parents moved many times (including overseas and back) and discarded much with each move, but never discarded the Heinisch scissors. My dad was 11 years old when his father died and I think the scissors were the last tangible and touched thing his father left behind. When I was a child I always was taken back by the thumb and hand openings which seemed enormous in comparison to any other scissors in the house. I'm so glad I have these scissors and that they can be dated to 1914 or earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. From New Zealand 22 March 2021
    Sharon
    I still have my mother's R Heinisch 12 inch sewing shears. My mother is 93 and the scissors was given to her by her father( my grandfather). He was a tailor and worked as a pattern maker and cutter- he taught my mother pattern making and cutting patterns .My mother taught dressmaking during World War 2 - straight out of high school until she married in 1948. As children we were never allowed to use the scissors by ourselves- they were in the first instance too heavy for us and secondly quite sharp - the fear was the injury we may cause ourselves.
    I can remember however being allowed to polish them- they are in perfect condition- no chips or dents on the blades- however the black enamel coating from the handles is almost worn off. My mother sewed for our family all her life- right up until she went into residential care 6 years ago. For her wedding in 1948, she copied Queen Elizbeth's wedding dress. She made a pattern from the photo, cut the pattern and the fabric to the pattern( using the shears of course) and sewed the dress herself. My sister wore the dress to her own wedding in 1985 . The shears remain a prized heirloom in our family

    ReplyDelete
  12. Japanese scissors I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When your website or blog goes live for the first time, it is exciting. That is until you realize no one but you and your. hairdressing scissors

    ReplyDelete